Monthly Archives: March 2019

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Muriel’s Wedding leads Helpmann nominees

The musical version of popular Aussie film Muriel’s Wedding leads this year’s Helpmann nominations.Muriel is officially no longer terrible.
Nanjing Night Net

The musical version of the popular Australian film Muriel’s Wedding leads this year’s Helpmann Awards with 11 nominations including for Best Musical and for its lead actress, Maggie McKenna, who made her stage debut in the starring role.

It marks a massive year for Sydney Theatre Company, which has come away with a total of 27 nods, helped in part by its staging of Muriel’s Wedding alongside Australian production company Global Creatures.

The STC’s interesting take on Bertolt Brecht’s dark play The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, starring Hugo Weaving, has notched up six nominations, including one for Weaving’s tour de force in the title role.

Director Simon Phillips has also been nominated twice for Best Direction of a Musical (Dream Lover and Muriel’s Wedding) as has the STC’s Artistic Director Kip Williams for Best Direction of a Play (Cloud Nine and The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui).

Actor and TV personality David Campbell has been nominated twice for best male actor in a musical for his roles in Assassins and Dream Lover.

Bangarra Dance Theatre has nine nominations, mainly for its ambitious work Bennelong, choreographed by artistic director Stephen Page and the company’s dancers.

Now in its 18th year, the annual awards ceremony recognises Australia’s live performance industry across 42 categories with genres including theatre, music, opera and musicals.

For the first time, the awards will be split over two events over two nights.The first will be a cocktail event in Sydney on July 15 announcing the behind-the-scenes awards and the second a black tie event on July 16 at the Capitol Theatre awarding the live performances.

Australian Associated Press

Socceroos allay injury worry over duo

Defender Trent Sainsbury says the Socceroos will be fit and firing for their next World Cup game.The Socceroos have allayed concerns over injured duo Josh Risdon and Tomi Juric after both missed a World Cup training session.
Nanjing Night Net

Juric, who didn’t play in Australia’s tournament opener against France, continues to battle a knee ailment while Risdon also sat out the Socceroos’ training session on Sunday in Kazan.

But defender Trent Sainsbury says both will be available for selection for Thursday’s fixture against Denmark.

Risdon suffered a knock in Australia’s 2-1 loss to France on Saturday.

“He picked up a corkie on his hip and it was just precautionary to pull him out yesterday,” Sainsbury told reporters on Monday.

And Juric’s absence was part of his scheduled program to ensure his recovery from a knee concern.

“Everyone knows that he has had a bit of a problem with his knee,” Sainsbury said.

“But … he will be fine for the next game – just rest up now and get himself right.”

Sainsbury, making his World Cup debut, was Australia’s standout performer in the loss to France.

And the 26-year-old, who has played at four different clubs in four different countries in the past three years, hoped his assured display in central defence would help trigger another club move.

“My ultimate goal was to come here and play a good tournament and just get out of the group stage with this team,” Sainsbury said.

“And that is still the goal now.

“Whatever comes of it, so be it. It’s a nice place to put yourself out there in the shop window.”

Sainsbury has been playing the the Swiss Super League for Grasshoppers, on loan from Chinese club Jiangsu Suning, and also had a loan stint with Inter Milan in Italy last year.

In 2016, he played for Jiangsu Suning, in 2015 with Dutch outfit PEC Zwolle – a club he joined in 2014 from Central Coast Mariners in the A-League.

Now, Sainsbury said he eyeing a long-term move.

“That’s the idea now, to get myself to a club now that is winning more games than losing, get settled and stay there for as long as possible,” he said.

“f I can stay at one club for the rest of my career, I would be very happy to do that.”

Australian Associated Press

Klemmer ready to lead Blues pack again

David Klemmer wants to show the way for the NSW pack in Sunday’s second Origin clash in Sydney.NSW mightn’t know who’s starting in the front row, but there’s no doubt who’ll be leading from the front.
Nanjing Night Net

As the Blues continued State of Origin II preparations with a barefoot session on Monday, coach Brad Fittler is yet to confirm whether Ryan James or Matt Prior will replace the injured Reagan Campbell-Gillard (broken jaw) at prop.

While both uncapped players bring different skills to the table, starting front-rower and Australian representative David Klemmer is aware of what he needs to deliver.

“I’ve been here before,” Klemmer told AAP on Monday.

“Freddie gave me a role and I just try my best to help the team out.”

And Klemmer deliver in Melbourne, showing his inexperienced teammates how it’s done with an impressive 100 metres in his first stint alone as arguably their best forward.

It was a strong statement from the Canterbury star, who not only was starting his first match for the Blues since his debut in 2015, but playing for the first time without partner-in-crime Aaron Woods.

In fact, across his 24 games for NSW and Australia, he has been without Woods just twice and the pair were critical in the Kangaroos defending their World Cup crown last year.

So when it comes to rookie experiences in Melbourne, Klemmer was learning on the fly as well.

“It’s all I’ve known, playing with Woodsy. Especially coming into these teams, I always had Woodsy to help me out with my game and help me outside of football as well,” Klemmer said.

“I’ve learnt a lot. I’ve had to sort things out myself, especially because I’m a big thinker when it comes to training and how I prepare. He was always someone I asked to help out.

“I’ve had to do it myself. It was weird at first, but it’s part of footy. I’ve got to grow up.”

With the Blues just 80 minutes away from claiming the Origin shield, Klemmer needs no reminding of how easily a series win can be snatched away.

He described last year’s deflating game-two loss in Sydney as a pivotal moment in his career.

“It’s something in my career I’ll never forget. We had a good win up there in Queensland and then we come down here and played just 40 minutes of football and lost,” he said.

“I’ll take a lot out of that game. I know what game two is about. Queensland are coming down here with a job to do. They’re going to come out firing. We’ll prepare well for it.”

All 20 players – including a hampered James Maloney and Latrell Mitchell – participated in Monday’s walkthrough at Coogee Oval, but will ramp up preparations with their first proper hitout on Tuesday.

Australian Associated Press

‘Name and shame’ posts could complicate a possible future trial, lawyers warn

FILE IMAGEPEOPLE using social media to“nameand shame”an accusedman as a show of support for an 11-year-old alleged child sex victim in Newcastle could complicate a possiblefuture trial, lawyers have warned.
Nanjing Night Net

People also risked prosecution for making some social media posts.

Further posts about the man or descriptions of him as guiltyrisked a possible trial being moved from Newcastle to another area, said criminal law specialist Manny Conditsis.

Protracted and extreme social media commentary also risked an application from the man’s lawyer for a permanent end to proceedings because he couldn’t get a fair trial, Mr Conditsis said.

RELATED: Read this before you share that post

“That’s a very extreme scenario and highly unlikely to happen but the accused’s lawyer couldapply for it,” Mr Conditsis said.

Social media posts in the past 24 hours have carried photos and namedthe man charged by police with abducting the girl on June 12 on her way to school and sexually assaulting her over a number of hours.

Many of the posts were written and shared after a court registrar made a non-publication order on Sunday prohibiting publication of information that would identify him.

The order was made after his defence lawyer argued identifying him could threaten his safety while in custody. The order was opposedby prosecutors and the media and remains in place until he appears in court on Wednesday.

Mr Conditsis said people who continued to identify the man on social media despite the order risked prosecution themselves.

“Contempt of court applies to everybody, therefore anything that is said or done leading to the identification of this person is a contempt of court, with a potential jail sentence,” he said.

People posting and sharing social media commentary after people are charged also risked identifying the wrong person, with potentially “horrendous” consequences, Mr Conditsis said.

Australian National University college of law Professor Mark Nolan said people who said they were supporting victims of crime when they made social media “name and shame” posts needed to consider the possible consequences.

“Are you supporting the complainant if your actions may actually prevent the prosecution from pursuing a jury trial in Newcastle? That’s the paradox of trial by social media,” Professor Nolan said.

People making social media posts risked prosecution, but jurors who carried out internet searches also faced potential prosecution, Professor Nolan said.

At least one jury in a high-profile trial has been dismissed after allegations a juror conducted internet searches.

Prior shares keys to locking up Ponga

NSW will look to Cronulla’s defensive secrets as they hope to shut down Kalyn Ponga in Origin II.NSW will look to Cronulla’s defensive secrets as they go about attempting what few others have done this year: Shutting down Kalyn Ponga.
Nanjing Night Net

Ponga’s elevation to the Queensland team represents a significant threat to the Blues in State of Origin II, after the Maroons could only penetrate them via an intercept and kick in the series opener.

But Ponga has proven himself to be something else in the NRL this year.

He leads the competition for tackle busts (85) and line-break assists (18), prompting retired Queensland captain Cameron Smith to declare him a must-pick for Origin II.

That dominance has extended into almost every game this year for Ponga, with the notable exception being round 12 against Cronulla where he ran just 66 metres and failed to have an impact via a try or linebreak for himself or one of his teammates.

And Sharks prop Matt Prior – who has been called into the Blues squad for game two – said Cronulla had found the key to shutting the dangerous 20-year-old’s attack down the left edge in that match.

“That was a big focus for us, Kalyn Ponga and how good he’d been playing,” Prior said.

“We went in there with a plan, every time he had the ball to have numbers around him and pressure him.

“Just don’t give him any time, that was the main thing. And it did seem to work.”

Where Ponga will line up for Queensland remains an unknown.

If Billy Slater fails to prove his fitness by Wednesday he’ll likely start at fullback, otherwise he could come on anywhere in the backline or as a roving man in the middle late.

Prior’s own future is also uncertain, with it unclear whether he will work his way into the Blues’ 17 for the clash.

Regardless, he said he was ready to help crack the code of shutting down Ponga with his own experience at Cronulla.

“That will be one of our key goals during the week,” Prior said.

“He’s electric. Coming into this year everyone had massive expectations on him and he has lived up to them and done even more in his first full year in first grade.

“We will probably look at that game and other games that he has been shut down and look at what teams have done well to shut him down.”

Australian Associated Press